Flood hits 123 brgys, affects 5,779 families


ROXAS City — About 123 villages and 5,779 families (27,047 persons) were affected by the flood in the province.

Sigma town had the most number of affected individuals, according to retired Senior Supt. Jose Daradar of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC).

Worst hit by flood were 20 barangays in each of the towns Panitan in the 1st District and Dao in the 2nd District, according to the monitoring report of the PDRRMC.

So far, only two fatalities were confirmed and recorded by the PDRRMC. They were 10-year-old Gregy delos Santos of Brgy. Dapdapan, Sapian and 15-year-old Richard Diestro of Brgy. Tabuc Sur, Panitan, said Daradar.

Delos Santos fell into the Dapdapan River while crossing the footbridge on Friday.

On the other hand, Diestro drowned when he attempted to cross to a river in Panitan on Saturday.

His body was taken by residents hours later, according to Daradar.

There were already 1,565 persons were brought to different evacuation centers, Daradar said.

The continuous downpour caused rivers to overflow and flooded low-lying villages in the towns of Pontevedra, Panay, Panitan, Maayon, Sigma, Mambusao, Dumarao, Jamindan, Tapaz, Cuartero and Dao, Daradar said.

A total of 13 villages were submerged in water in Panay and eight in Pontevedra. Sixty-six families from the latter town were brought to two evacuation centers.

In this city, flood hit five barangays, affecting 197 families (885 persons).

Mayor Angel Alan Celino convened the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to distribute relief goods to the victims.

On the other hand, Pontevedra Mayor Esteban Jose Contreras asked the Pontevedra Sangguniang Bayan to hold special session today and declare the town under a state of calamity.

A total of 698 families (3,490 persons) were affected by the flood in the town, according to Contreras.
In Mambusao, 15 villages are submerged in water with 658 families affected.

Flood also affected seven barangays in Cuartero, six in Jamindan and two in Tapaz.

Vehicles cannot anymore pass by the road in Brgy. Agkilo, Panitan due to a stranded Ceres bus that blocks the way, Daradar said.

PDRRMC will still determine the flood’s extent of damage to crops and properties./PN


2 ‘steal’ P113-K cash, items


ROXAS City — Two unidentified men carted away about P113,000 worth of cash and other items after holding up a business establishment on Altavas Street here the other day.

Police said the suspects entered the establishment of Rosalie Altoveros of Sitio Arcabalo, Brgy. Bolo here and also took some jewelry and appliances.

Among the items taken by the suspects were P25,000 cash, jewelry, digital camera, mobile phone and a check worth P56,000, police said.

The suspects initially pretended as customers and asked to buy a T-shirt, according to Altoveros’ husband Joel.

However, one of the suspects suddenly took an ice pick while the other drew out a .45-caliber pistol and declared holdup, police said.

One of the suspects pointed the ice pick on the neck of the Altoveros’ helper Cheryl, said the police.

According to Joel, the suspects forced his wife to give all the jewelry she was wearing.

They fled onboard on a blue motorcycle after the incident, said the police./PN


2 shoot housewife

ROXAS City — A 42-year-old woman was shot by two unidentified suspects in Brgy. Libas here the other day.

Teresita Villaruel–Brumert, 42, was rushed to the Roxas Memorial Provincial Hospital but was declared “dead on arrival.”

She succumbed to fatal gunshot wounds on her back and stomach, police said.

Regalado Villaruel, the victim’s brother, said he heard gunshots in his sister’s business establishment.

The residents panicked and the suspects fled onboard a black motorcycle, said the police.

Regalado believed that the victim’s husband Georgin Brumert, a German national, could be behind the crime. (Felipe Celino/PN)


ALFONSO “Bo” Bediones, former Provincial Board member of Capiz, called our attention regarding an item here last Saturday.
He clarified that he did not run in the last elections “not because of a promise of a cabinet position by ‘P-Noy,’ but because of local politics where former city Mayor Vic Bermejo, who is a cousin of mine, decided to leave the LP.”
“No promise was given to me by ‘P-Noy’ since when I helped him, I did not expect something in return. But given the options, he is really the best person who can rebuild our country considering his integrity and honesty.
“As to being impatient in waiting, not true, since I am enjoying farming nowadays and having a good quality time with my family,” the popular leader of Sen. Mar told Lapsus in a text message.
Say mo, Ting Borda?
Cong. Tony “dies-dies” smiling!