ROXAS City — The Provincial Board on Wednesday passed a resolution expressing sympathy to the bereaved family of a former provincial legal officer.
Napoleon “Nap” Oducado died on January 31 due to a lung ailment.
The resolution said the passing away of Oducado “is a great lost to the province whom he served with utmost dedication, sincerity, objectiveness and fairness in the furtherance of local governance, justice and genuine development for the people of the Capiz.”
It was authored by Board member Ma. Emile Ardivilla.
The resolution described Oducado as one of the “seasoned legal, political and community servant of Capiz.”
He was a constant partner in the development of the province and its people through his legal expertise, unwavering zeal for public service and commitment to excellence, according to the resolution.
“The family of Atty. Oducado deserves words of comfort and encouragement from this Sanggunian, which recognizes the significant contributions as former election registrar, former Provincial Board secretary, former provincial administrator, former provincial and city legal officer,” the resolution said.
Oducado succumbed to a severe lung complication in the Saint Anthony College Hospital here. He was 69.
He is among the known legal luminaries in this city and in the province.
He served two governors — with Cornelio Villareal Jr. as provincial administrator, and with Vicente Bermejo as provincial legal officer.
When Bermejo was elected mayor of this city in 2007, he made Oducado city legal officer.
According to Natalie Oducado-Francisco, Oducado’s daughter, said her father had been active in legal practice, particularly on criminal and administrative cases.
Born in November 6, 1941, Oducado was one of the lawyers of former dyOW Bombo Radyo station manager Herson “Boy” Hinolan who was assassinated in 2003.
His remains lie in the state of his residence in Brgy. Tiza, Roxas City. Internment is yet to announced./PN
PB confirms new PHO chief
BY FELIPE CELINO
ROXAS City — After a few days of delay, Dr. Samuel Delfin was finally confirmed as chief of the Provincial Health Office (PHO).
The Provincial Board unanimously approved Dr. Delfin’s appointment the other day.
Earlier, provincial government officials denied recalling the appointment of Dr. Delfin as officer-in-charge (OIC) of the PHO.
Gov. Victor Tanco did not cancel the installation of Dr. Delfin as PHO OIC, chief legal officer Jose Villanueva said.
Villanueva, concurrent provincial administrator, described the spreading reports as “wrong notions.”
Tanco stood on his decision to appoint Dr. Delfin being the most qualified person for the position, according to Villanueva.
Instead, what was recalled was Tanco’s recommendation to the Provincial Board to confirm Delfin as PHO chief, he said.
“(The governor) wants first to defer Dr. Delfin’s confirmation… there is something to be ironed out before we give the appointment papers for scrutiny by the Provincial Board,” he said.
Meanwhile, the chief legal officer denied that the governor was pressured and that politics was behind the “mess.”
Dr. Delfin was appointed as PHO OIC eight months ago after former PHO chief Dr. Jarvies Punzalan went abroad./PN
Capiz mulls checkpoints vs coconut infestation
ROXAS City — The province plans putting up checkpoints in its entrance and exit points to contain the spread of coconut and palm infestation.
Members of the new task force made to secure coconut and palm plantations in the province presented a checkpoint plan during a meeting with Gov. Victor Tanco.
A composite team led by the local Philippine National Police will lead the checkpoints, the task force members said.
The plan came after Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) provincial manager Jeffrey delos Reyes reported the spread of infestation in coconut and palm plantations in three barangays in Ivisan town.
A total of 230 bearing and nonbearing coconut plantation and 44 ornamental palms in Barangays Poblacion Sur, Poblacion Norte and Ondoy were already infested, as of PCA’s January 28 monitoring report, delos Reyes said.
Checkpoints in the towns of Pilar, Dumarao and Sapian — including Libas Fishing Port, Culasi Port and the Roxas City Air Port — will be spelled out in an executive order to be issued by Tanco.
On the other hand, provincial police director Senior Supt. Renato Gumban, together with other member agencies like the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines and Philippine Maritime Authority, among others, will also support the drive.
Meanwhile, delos Reyes said while they continue inspecting and treating brontispa-infested plantation in Ivisan, they will wait for a consolidated report from all towns here, including Roxas City, through the Municipal Agriculture Officers on whether there is infestation in their areas.
“From (the) report, we can already make our final step in fighting the spread of said pest in the entire province,” he said. (Jemin B. Guillermo/PIA/PN
(Disclamer) Bene Nota: The views and opinions expressed here by the author are personal to him, and do not reflect the views and opinions of the website owners and administrators. Any issue or complaint about the article must be addressed solely to the author, who is solely responsible for the article.