Roxas City mayor says he’s no anti-business


ROXAS City — Mayor Angel Alan Celino admitted he was initially uncomfortable facing this city’s business sector due to his “hangover” on the elections in May this year.

But the mayor has come to his terms and said his acts must transcend politics.

Most of the big-time businessmen here supported the reelection bid of then Mayor Vicente Bermejo of the Ugyon Kita Capiz. But Celino, under the Liberal Party, defeated him by a 686-vote margin.

“I am now extending my hand for reconciliation,” said Celino, addressing business sector representatives during a consultative meeting sponsored by the Joint Chamber Office of the Roxas City Chinese Chamber of Commerce Inc. and the Capiz Halaran Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CHCCI).

The meeting held at the Soul Superclub here on October 18 was also attended by Vice Mayor Ronnie Dadivas and Councilors James Matthew Viterbo, Emmanuel Billones Jr. and Julius Abela.

In reaching out the business sector, Celino said he wanted to correct the misconception that he is “anti-business.”

“I am actually a business-friendly mayor. I was the author of the Roxas City Investment Code way back in 1995.”

His 141 days in office was not easy as his blood pressure shot up, he said.

Celino said he would actively involve the business sector in determining the city’s future direction.

He said he plans to increase his current six economic advisers to 10 to accommodate business sector representatives who can participate in preparing the city’s Annual Investment Plan.

CHCCI President Jose Nery D. Ong asked Celino about his plans for the city in the next three years. Celino said being a new mayor, he would in the meantime leave the planning to the local business sector, and that he would try to confer with them on the matter from time to time.

“Feel free to visit me in my office. Let us have coffee so we can discuss certain projects which you feel could help the city move forward. Let us plan together,” he said.

Celino also disclosed that plans were afoot to restore the two-way traffic along Roxas Avenue, the city’s former commercial district.

Businesses in the area suffered from low sales due to the one-way scheme implemented about three years ago, he said.

Celino said businessman Edgar Sia, owner of the famous Mang Inasal, might donate an amount to the city. “If he gave P25 million to Iloilo, he might also give to Capiz.”

Likewise, Judy Araneta–Roxas said McDonald’s will soon open a franchise outlet here, probably in the soon-completed city-owned commercial building on Taft Street, the mayor disclosed.

The city government will also codify the Investment Code Celino authored in 1995 to suit the needs of “the changing times,” he said./PN


Police: No terror threats in Capiz

ROXAS City — Capiz Police Provincial Office Deputy Director Mario Millaro assured Capiceños that, so far, there are no terrorism threats in the province.

Their intelligence has not gathered any reports on possible terrorist attacks in Capiz, Millaro said.

"Despite of this, the Philippine National Police here is still on guard and continues to intensify our monitoring activities," he said.

Millaro's assurance was made during the Provincial Peace and Order Council meeting presided over by Gov. Victor Tanco yesterday.

On the other hand, 301st Brigade Commander Caesar Ronnie Ordoyo of the Philippine Army's 3rd Infantry Division likewise disclosed that they have not monitored any terror threats in the province.

Ordoyo, however, appealed for public support and cooperation as well as vigilance to safeguard the Capiceños against any terror attacks.

"Peace and order must be everybody's concern," he said.

Every citizen should play his/her part in information dissemination and advocacy especially on security preparedness, Ordoyo said.

Among the agenda during the meeting was the review of the accomplishments of PPOC in relation to the Integrated Area Community Public Safety Plan that was formulated and adopted last year.

The Capiz PPOC was reorganized after Tanco issued Executive Order No. 5, series of 2010. (Jemin B. Guillermo/PIA/PN

Village councilman shot dead


ROXAS City — A village councilman of Brgy. Poblacion Ilaya, Dumarao town was shot dead the other day.

According to Poblacion Ilaya Barangay Captain Eddie Lademora, the victim was 30-year-old Joel Dalipe.

Dalipe succumbed to a gunshot wound on the chest, police said.

Police said the victim was with his two colleagues and was on their way to see a doctor when the gunman flagged them down.

Without any provocation, the suspect who was onboard a motorcycle shot Dalipe at close range, police said.

The gunman and his driver companion fled after the incident, said Lademora.

He said Dalipe and his colleagues were from a benefit dance in Brgy. Codingle, Dumarao when the incident happened.

The Dumarao police launched a hot pursuit against the suspect and his companion.

Investigation on the case is ongoing./PN