Aquino led safe disposal of explosive remnants of world war 2 in Tarlac
By Jason de Asis
CAPAS, Tarlac, March 6, 2011-In the recent discussion of Philippine government with US President Barack Obama on the urgency to remove and dispose the leftover World War II naval ordnances from Caballo Island, President Benigno S. Aquino III led the culmination of the disposal of some 400,000 pounds of leftover ordnances used during the World War II where he personally detonated the last two pallets of 287-pound Mk 6 depth charges and two pallets of 190-pound Mk 9 depth charges using a radio firing device some 1.6 kilometer away from the blast range at Crow Valley here.
At the Caballo Island where the said explosives were restored, three-phase EOD operations started with the stabilization and rendering safe the ordnances, segregation, and its placement on pallets including site survey, engineering works and logistics fill-up at Crow Valley and coordinating conferences with EOD teams where the first phase conducted for 15 days from January 20 to February 4, while phase two included the safe transport of ordnances from Caballo Island to Crow Valley last February 6.
Earlier in February, the exercise was led by the Naval Special Operations Group (NAVSOG) of the Philippine Navy was the last of three phases of the Joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Operations with EOD teams from the Army, Air Force, Philippine National Police (PNP) and Coast Guard.
Phase three is the disposal by safely and gradually detonating the leftover World War II naval ordnances at the demolition range of the Philippine Air Force at Crow Valley in barangay Sta. Juliana, Capas.
President Aquino lauded the Armed Forces of the Philippines and to all those involved in the success of the operations where he was impressed on how the team managed to complete the disposal operations weeks ahead of the targeted date of completion set on March 20.
The Chief Executive also lauded the safe transport of the explosives from Subic to Caballo Island to Crow Valley, saying that the operations were carried out safely. (Jason de Asis)
Task Force Caballo Chief Capt. Rommel Jason Galang explains to President Aquino the procedure on how to detonate explosive remnants of war using the remote firing device. (Jason de Asis)
Photo shows the actual blasting of leftover naval explosives used during the World War II which was held at Crow Valley in Capas, Tarlac. (Jason de Asis)
President Aquino detonates the remaining explosive remnants of war during the culmination of the joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) operations in Crow Valley, Capas, Tarlac. (Jason de Asis)
President Aquino standing, told newsmen that he is set to announce the new AFP Chief of staff today (March 6, 2011) during a press briefing after leading the culmination of the joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) exercise which was held at Crow Valley in Capas, Tarlac while in his right was AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Ricardo David to be retired on March 8. (Jason de Asis)
In : SENATE BEAT